Starting in Reception is an exciting time. At Highfields we believe Reception should provide a strong and secure foundation for your child’s future education. We strive to develop the fundamental skills, talents and enthusiasm for learning that will enable your child to flourish as they progress throughout the School.
We encourage parents to bring their children into the classroom in the mornings and help to settle them for the day, when they will also get the opportunity to speak to the teacher or classroom assistant. We work together with parents and place great emphasis on communication between School and home.
Our aims in Reception
During our Reception year it is our aim to:-
- Capture the children’s natural curiosity for learning
- Give the children a vast array of learning experiences and opportunities
- Nurture individual interests and abilities
- Develop a love/desire for learning
- Set in place the building blocks as a foundation for future learning
Our weekly home/school learning logs contain photographs and information about all of the different activities that have happened during the week. Therefore, when you ask your child, “What have you been doing today?” there is always something tangible to look at together, talk about and share in your child’s first year in “big school”, involving parents closely in this exciting stage in a child’s development.